Landscape design is an extension of any home's exterior. Our garden editors' tricks can turn a blah yard into something beautiful.
The first step in landscaping is deciding what type of garden best suits your lifestyle and your home. Before making any plans, ask yourself these questions:
• Where do you live -- in the city, the suburbs, or the country? Your garden should complement the environment or neighborhood.
• What is the style of your house? Is it formal or informal? Spanish Revival, Georgian, ranch, bungalow, or cottage?
• What are your needs? A lawn where the kids can play? A place to grow flowers? A place to entertain?
• What are the limitations of the site? Is it big enough for a pool? Is it too steep to mow safely? Are there unattractive views you'd like to screen?
• How much time can you devote to upkeep? Clipped hedges, large flowerbeds, and big lawns require considerable maintenance.