Amazing Home Makeovers
5 Easy Ways to Spruce Up a Small Garden
Use these tips from the experts to upgrade your pint-sized lot to an outdoor retreat.
Create a Courtyard
Design your own secluded getaway.
This courtyard is split into two sections -- a parterre garden and a more open lawn area -- divided by a wrought iron gate. John McEllen, the landscape designer who shaped this courtyard, decided to leave the existing Venus statue and pond as the central elements because, as he says, "Every good courtyard needs a water feature and a traditional garden ornament." To soften the hardscape, John added boxwoods and a row of azaleas.
Why This Space Works:
• The symmetrical layout is visually appealing.
• Hardscape materials from the garden match materials from the house.
• Traditional plants create a beautiful effect year-round.
• Wrought iron enhances the feeling of antiquity.
• An uncluttered design increases the impact of the plants.
• The water feature adds a cooling, soothing touch.
• This courtyard offers an expanded living and entertaining area.
More from MyHomeIdeas