Tips From an Organization Expert
This organization expert dishes on what it takes to keep your home (and your life) cleared of unwanted clutter.
Front Entry Fixes
MHI: How can I keep my entry from becoming a dumping ground for mail, keys, papers, and shoes?
JW: Have a designated space in your entryway for things and get in the habit of always putting items there as soon as you walk through the door.
A few things to consider:
- A bench with storage baskets is a great place to store shoes and keep them from cluttering up your space. This also gives you a place to sit and put on shoes in comfort prior to going outdoors.
- Place a decorative dish atop a console table to house keys.
- Hang hooks and use them for scarves, umbrellas, and dog leashes.
- Install shelving that will serve as a landing place for mail and papers. Use a basket or bin on top of the shelving.
- When you are ready, open your mail over a trash can or recycling bin so you can dispose all the outer envelopes and unimportant inserts. Deal with what you can right away -- transfer information into your calendar for upcoming events and discard the invitation. Instead of keeping bills in an office file, use a letter rack and stash the bills and important to-dos in order of their due dates. This way, you’ll have a visual reminder that they’re waiting to be paid.