Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Decorating and Design
Invest in Your Kitchen
Before remodeling, consider these planning checklists for the best return on your dollars and your dreams.
These guidelines can help you get the most bang for your remodel budget.
Budget of $5,000 or Less
- Paint with a bold, bright color; use a faux finish, such as a glaze, on an accent wall; or add wall coverings.
- Retrofit existing cabinets with organizing devices like cutlery dividers, spice racks, and roll-out waste cans or wire baskets.
- Change existing cabinet knobs and pulls to more interesting styles and materials, such as glass, pewter, or stainless steel.
- Improve lighting with dimmer switches; add eye-catching switch plates; and replace outdated lights with stylish fixtures.
- Add a new backsplash made of a durable, easy-to-clean material such as ceramic tile or stainless steel.