Gutter Cleaning and Care
Clean gutters are important to keeping your foundation safe, so learn to clean and repair them with help from home improvement expert JoAnne Liebeler.
Inspection and Materials
It's a good idea to inspect gutters a couple times a year to make sure they're operating efficiently. Gutters are secured to something called a fascia board. This board hangs just under the roofline and is typically made of wood. Make sure the fascia isn't deteriorating or rotting when you're on a ladder checking gutters.
- Steel: durable, but rusts over time
- Vinyl or plastic: A favorite for DIYers; lightweight; long-term exposure to the elements causes fading and degrading
- Aluminum: most popular choice (fabricated on-site without seams for less chance of leaking)
- Copper: beautiful and long-lasting; higher price
- Wood: practically obsolete; found on some historic homes
More from MyHomeIdeas