How to Keep Your Home Healthy and Pet-Friendly
Go room by room to see how you can keep your home safe for both you and your furry family members.
Garage and Driveway: Anti-Antifreeze
It has long been known that antifreeze is highly toxic to pets, especially cats. “A teaspoon can kill a cat, and a few tablespoons will kill a dog,” Dr. Lee says. “And it’s very sweet so the animals will drink it.” She warns that even if a small amount of the neon green liquid drips onto the driveway, hose it off and dilute it immediately.
Especially in colder climates, people will dump a bottle of antifreeze into their toilets to help warm up the plumbing, only to have their dog or cat drink out of the toilet moments later. Luckily there is something vets can do should this happen, but it only works within the first 3 hours for cats and in the first 8 to 12 hours for dogs. After that, the prognosis is very grave.
More from MyHomeIdeas