1. Hang your ornaments with ribbons to add a pop of color to the tree.
2. For special occasions, add miniature poinsettias. Rest pots of blooms on sturdy branches -– the blossoms will fill in any holes in the tree. After the party, your guests can take them home.
3. Fill your tree with nature’s ornaments. Tuck holly berries into branches, using florist water picks to keep them fresh. Or spray-paint pinecones silver and gold and place throughout the tree.
4. Add garlands last. They will reflect the lights, giving even more sparkle to your tree.
5. Include oodles of ribbon to weave color within the tree. Cut it in 3- or 4-foot lengths, and tuck each end into the branches so it looks as if it winds throughout.
6. Tired of crawling under the tree and through the presents to plug lights in? Plug lights into a timer.
By Julie Feagin Sandner, Southern Living
Julie Feagin Sandner, Southern Living